Thursday, April 30, 2009

Life at sixteen days out

Here we all are at the end of April and sixteen days since Tom died. I still find it hard to comprehend that I will never see him or touch him again. I am lucky that I have a few recordings of his voice so that I can hear him. One recording is on our answering machine. I get alot of teary sounding messages as, I think people are caught off guard at hearing his voice when they prepare to leave a message. I can't even think of taking it off right now. It is one of my treasures. The other recordings I have of his voice are on my cell phone. He took a motorcycle trip in June with some buddies and called me almost every night as he always did. He didn't happen to get me a couple of times and left messages. I usually erase messages because one gets so many, but for some reason I saved them. Boy, am I glad I did now. I of course saved every little "Missed ya, love ya" message after I found out about the tumor, but those first "Tom in love with me and without a care in the world" messages will always be cherished. Does anyone know how to preserve them? I am scared to death that they will accidently get erased.

I felt quite confident that I had learned some very wise lessons throughout Tom's illness. One of the things that I thought I had down was that I understood that I really don't have control of how things should go or at what pace or on my timetable. The big picture really has nothing to do with my plans. Well, after three months in various hospitals, two weeks at home with hospice, Tom's death, the visitation and then the funeral, I was ready to be in my home to take a big breath and think about our past together and just be. That was my plan. As it turned out, I spent four of the next seven days in the ER, hospital and my mothers apartment. She has had heart problems in the past and on Monday after Tom's funeral we had to call 911 due to pains and shortness of breath. Thank goodness she is okay and off playing cards with her girlfriends again. At 88 she is amazing.

Also within these sixteen days I have had the joy of spending time with loving friends and family. My neighbors are unbelievable. My cats are happy. My goats still wonder where I am (they are staying at my friends with 18 other goats). I have had to deal with funeral homes, the State of Michigan, banks, computers, sump pumps, and vehicles. I have also been confronted with a lot of firsts...grocery shopping for one, driving by our favorite restaurant, closing up the house for the night knowing Tom won't be letting himself in, running across his flip flops under the bench by the back door, to mention a few. Through it all, blessing after blessing presents themselves almost every day. Every day is still a gift.

I am not making any plans on how I am going to "get through this." I am just going to feel things as they come along. My relationship with Tom is not over. I feel him with me, I talk to him, and call on him for strength and courage and a small measure of his character to make me a better person. My friend Linda Fitzpatrick, who lost her husband Jim six years ago says that when she is asked if she is married, she always answers, "Yes, but my husband died." That is exactly how I feel. More later. Love and gratitude to you all. Linda

7 comments:

Carol Woldt...The Non-Hundt Blackburn sister said...

Oh my Dear Linda,
It is a year of firsts. After Paul died, late at night after the kids were asleep, our dog "Dude" & I would go outside and stand at the end of the driveway. I guess I just couldn't believe he wasn't coming home. You need to just do what is right for you and at your pace. I wasn't ready to sleep in our bed so I moved a bed into our livingroom...can you imagine a big double bed/doubling as a family couch!! But from the night he died until I had to move the bed out for our Christmas tree...that's where I slept. I don't dream about Paul often but have heard from many people that when I do, it is him coming to visit me. The first dream I had of him after he died was him visiting waking me up & telling me that it was OK to put his clothes away. This was 3 & a half months after he was gone (again, you do what's right for you when you are ready). Well, I got some boxes from work that day and packed his clothes up. If you can imagine, some were still in laundry baskets in our diningroom...15 weeks...but I knew at that time I was ready. Our situations are very different but with the same end result and it has been determined by many that whatever road has been traveled to get there, the loss sucks. I am so sorry that you have to feel this loss, it just seems wrong. I apologize for breaking down on you at the funeral, yes it did bring back memories. The strength you showed...that's what I remember. Having to make it OK for everyone, our kids, family, friends...they had to know he wasn't afraid to die & that it was OK. I don't know if that's what you were feeling...but that is what I saw when I looked into your eyes. David did an amazing job. What an awesome life he has had to have such wonderful, loving parents. You are all so lucky to have each other. Cherish every moment...I know you will. I'll shut up now. Thanks for letting me ramble. I am sending you a huge hug and lots of love.

Christy Duffy said...

Linda,

Thanks for writing - I've wondered daily how you are. I'm thinking of you and praying for peace for you.

Christy

F3 Gals said...

Good hearing from you Linda.
Kathy Walter

Anonymous said...

I will ask Mike if he knows how to preserve those messages for you. Lula and I want to come and visit you soon, please call when you have some time.
Love always,
Sarah
896-4667

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you Linda! *Big Hugs*

Anonymous said...

oh that last one was from me...Kim Kroupa. Im not signed into my blog account. *big hugs*

Very "old" friends... said...

Hi Linda,
Denny and I just opened up the Ann Arbor News to an article about your sister-in-law's Bakery Cafe. Of course since her name is Linda we immediately thought it was you, the creative entrepreneur, and the mention of Tom's pie at the visitation...well it was when we went to the website that we realized our mistake. In the midst of our excitement we had decided to come by the bakery on our way to the cottage to get a pie and see you and bring Kelly and her girls on our way back to Ann Arbor two weeks later, knowing she also would love to see you. So with a little alteration in plans we will still go by the Bakery, pick up a pie and give you a call to see if you are home and not off vacationing with your grand kids, and come and visit. Hopefully we will connect, if not then, then soon. We love you. Our door and hearts are open for you always. Trish and Denny